![]() |
| FatouWuriePhotography |Kroo Bay| Freetown, Sierra Leone |
It is a matter of perspective. I remember,
vividly, when I took this image in kroo Bay. Fresh of the plane from Montreal, I
think the nation could smell that I was in unfamiliar territory that I call ‘home’.
My sense of direction, orientation, reaction and attraction to people and
places were electric. Every story, every movement, every gesture, dream and
laughter left me changed. Re-activeness was how I coped, I ran after
everything, chasing those stories and possible connections. Like I said, the
nation, everyone and there mama knew I had just landed.
I reeked of naïve yearning to belong and
understand. Recently, I have been receiving messages from friends and
strangers, asking me of my experiences of ‘moving back home’. I recall asking
the same question to individuals living in Freetown when I too wanted, ached
rather, to come back home. Now that I am at the receiving end of these
questions, I never quite know how to respond. I could respond with the usual,
prepare, um things don’t really work/function, don’t really trust people…trust
is broken, oh and it’s a really small place, like incredibly tight, fishbowl
microscopic so be prepared to be private. No scratch that, just come be open
and do YOU, if you are prepared to deal with the consequences. The men, women…o
la…stay single. But don’t, freetown, upline, the country..is romantic..dream A
LOT. Did I mention trust is broken. Lord, just do YOU. No. PRAY. Be.
I have no answers, I only have my
story. My story mine mine, the reason why I am here, how I ended up here, why I
am still here….it’s mine, Be open enough to know that your story will unfold as
destined….What I can speak to however as year 2 approaches is this:
- Its all about perspective
- Your core…who you are, your principles, your dreams, your aspirations….protect it.
- Secure and ensure you have a circle of love. A circle that reminds you that you are human, that you are allowed to make mistakes, that reminds you that ONLY YOU can truly know who you are, want to be, and are made off.
- Be humble. Kiss the palms of the elders, drink their knowledge.
- Listen. TRUST ME; you do not have much to say…Yet.
- Its home, relax…all will be well. You will see the extension of your roots…your ancestors live on…all will be well.
I look back at this image with a smile. Now, today, with the very same camera and lens, this photograph would be
captured from a different angle. The textures and layers, more sensitive, more
detailed, more more more…less raw.
Its all about perspective. I
promise.
Fambul dem this is how we do…

I love your writing Fatou. I miss that connection with family and support system when you are at home versus a foreign land that half the time rejects you. You should do more personal blog posts like this. I enjoy reading them.
ReplyDeleteNatasha, darling sister...i hear you. i so so do. the sacrifices you are making to realize your dream...your family lives in you, there is purpose. all will be well.
ReplyDeletevulnerability is scary dear, but thank you for reminding me that if we are brave enough then others can connect with that.
Love You.
Fatou you're awesome and you're a great writer. I read you piece about "Shame" on Tumblr and it was #reblogged.
ReplyDeleteComfortable, thank YOU. appreciated. xxx
ReplyDeleteI'm sooooo in love with your writing skills & how you can just express things in words in the most simple way.. Chapeau!
ReplyDelete